Reading the comic "Bound by Law" made me understand the whole copyright idea better but it confused me with the fair use idea. I really did not know that even a little 4.5 second of a clip in a movie could be such a big deal and cause many problems. It's kind of unclear when you use fair use and what kind of material or images have to be credited for. If I were to make a movie I wouldn't clearly understand what I could and could not use in it that wasn't mine to begin with.
The goal isn't to freak you out about fair use--just be aware of the issues and make the best decision you can. It is certainly a complex and confusing issue, though, and I think the comic does a good job of acknowledging that. We can also work things out in class if you have questions.
ReplyDelete