Thursday, October 25, 2012

Show and Tell Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHc_fXtsj0

This link is the video example for our mini-lesson assignment.

This video is educating the views about what has happened with our economy on many different issues. It is giving them statistics about job rates or unemployment rates from the last couple of years. It says the numbers but also shows the numbers which helps the viewers get a better understanding I think.

I think it is a good example for our class on this assignment because it has many voice overs from different people which shows that the topic is being talked about by more than one person, which makes it seem important. It does not use different location, it just focus on the boy riding his bike, but I think the different voice overs can represent the different locations in a non literal sense.

The video I think is kind of creepy but the message it is trying to get across is to vote because the viewers wouldn't want their children or their lives to be lifeless like the video scene was. It is saying we can make a difference and change all the statistics stated in the video around so it is important to vote.

6 comments:

  1. The video's juxtaposition of numbers/statistics with the bleak scene is very effective at setting a mood (desolate, creepy, etc.). I think it's interesting that this is so focused on persuading the voter to vote for a specific candidate, and it leads me to wonder this: where does education end and persuasion begin? (I don't expect anyone to have a quick answer to that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video really does an amazing job at creating an eerie tone that grabs the viewers attention. Making it seem like there is a child at risk is always a good tactic to make people listen. I liked that there were statistics, but there were almost too many and they all jumbled together for me by the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video is clearly trying to scare people into voting by being negative and ominous, saying everything that is wrong with this country, even going as far to mentioning the birth rate. I don't know how any politician can change the rate at which other people procreate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this video is very informative and persuasive in getting people to go out and vote for the good of the nation presently and in the future. I also ask the question that Erika poses: how much is educating, and how much is persuading? Where do they overlap? Is there even a difference in this video?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this video was extremely well done and interesting. The slow pace of the young bicyclist added to the sense of drudgery and desolation experienced by the viewer. It really presented feeling of hopelessness, (ironic due to Obama's original campaign slogan "Hope") especially by symbolizing our nation's youth, immersed within it. I liked the graphical incorporation of the statistics within the actual scene; it looked very professional. I also found it interesting that this was used to persuade someone to vote for Mitt Romney, but then again the use of negative advertisements seem to be a common this within this election.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this video a lot. It kept me interested the whole time throughout the erie scenes with the boys on the bicycle riding through a place that has been through struggle. It is a very good example of what we have to do with our project, it shows us that we need to keep the audience awake.

    ReplyDelete